Thursday, March 31, 2011

Top 3 Kitchen Storage Ideas


My kitchen next year is tiny. As in minuscule. It's about 7 feet long and about 3 feet wide. Not a lot of wiggle room to move around in there. Add in some pots, pans, and food - much less my physical body - things are going to get interesting. The kitchen includes a fridge, small stove, and a couple of cupboards above the stove. I was panicking a bit, wondering where I'd put all my stuff so I researched a few creative ways to get the most out of your cooking and eating space. Here are my top 3:

1. Magnetic strips
Magnetic strips can boost the storage power of your wall. Just slap up a strip and start magnetizing stuff. This is a great option for knife storage as well as most anything else metal and fairly lightweight. Personally, I'm a big fan of storing spices via magnets. Transfer your spices into individual mini metal canisters with clear lids and you'll be able to easily see which spices are which the next time you're cooking up something fancy. (See the picture below for an example of a spice magnet strip.


2. Fruit Shelves
I came across this neat fruit shelf on Ikea Hackers (click the link to see the plans for this storage set-up). The main materials for the shelf appear to be wood and clear baking or serving dishes. This is a great way to display your fruit without having apples roll all over (and off) your counter. Win!


3. Pot Hanger
The ceiling is one of the top most wasted spaces in a kitchen in my opinion. It's a tricky location to utilize though. A ceiling's openness makes your apartment feel larger - something important in a small living space. A pot hanger, with its open design, does not have as much flow interruption in a space as you might think. Hangers come in a variety of shapes and sizes so you can pick the best one for your needs. Wall pot hangers are also great options.



No comments:

Post a Comment